Sunday, February 24, 2008

Evolution

So, my plan for this blog has evolved. I agreed to take on preschooling my 4 yr old neighbor. So, now this blog will be two fold, and possibly more relevant for many families with both a preschooler and a toddler.

We've completed our first successful week. Originally, I had planned on doing letter of the week type of stuff (I love their site) and adding in my own ideas that went a long with the letter. BUT, I quickly found out that he needs to learn more than letters, so this week's game plan changed to include other skills that he clearly needed work on. I was under the impression that the main focus of our time together would be on learning the alphabet, letter sounds, and working on writing. While we'll still be working on all those things, I found that he also needs to know how to count (he can sometimes successfully get to 5, other times not), he doesn't consistently recognize colors, and he doesn't have a good grasp on concepts like "big/little" "over/under" "top/bottom", so I've included those things in the upcoming week's plan. That's what I get for assuming!!

He'll probably be doing preschool with me until the end of the year, at the beginning of next year he'll probably move to a standard preschool, in preparation for public school kindergarten (I can teach him lots of things, but now how to act with 15 other 5 year olds).

Now I am teaching 4th grade, 3rd grade, preschool, AND trying to keep a very active toddler happy.

I'm REALLY going to try to keep this blog updated (as well as my other one), but time is so limited I may have to do it in big chunks! :-)

Ahh, evolution.

No comments: