Sunday, March 30, 2008

Toddler Time!

You might have been wondering why there weren't any new plans posted for last week. Or maybe you weren't, but I'm going to explain anyway. We had a period of almost 2 weeks where my kids were sick, I mean, 105 fever for DAYS sick. So...we didn't do any preschool as I was busy wiping down foreheads with cool cloths and dosing out medicine. When school finally did resume this past week, we used the U lesson plan that we hadn't had a chance to use yet, so I didn't do any new plans. I will be planning for the coming week today, and will post those *hopefully* this afternoon.

It has come to my attention that some of the moms from my birth board (a message board for people with babies born the same time my DS was) have been checking out this blog. I know some of them are coming and taking ideas for their preschool aged kids, and that is great! I'm very excited to be able to help jump start their own creative juices. I also wanted to tell you about a couple activities that my toddler has been VERY interested in lately.

The Umbrella Toss game that I talk about in the letter U lesson plan was a BIG hit. I ended up using foam alphabet blocks instead of bean bags (because somehow all my beanbags have disappeared...except for one red one), but that worked out well for my preschool student as I was able to find blocks with the letters he's already learned and have him identify the letter before he threw them. What I was suprised about was how much my almost 15 month old LOVED this activity. Sometimes he threw them, and sometimes he merely took the blocks from their container and moved them to the umbrella. He has asked to do this again!

In the spirit of moving things....his other favorite activity at the moment is rearranging things in the kitchen cabinets. Now, there are some things I don't want him to rearrange (you're all probably thinking that too) so what I did was moved my collection of empty glass jars (I have a good collection, of varying sizes, I recommend this sort of collection to you all!) to a cabinet and allowed him to rearrange them and move them from the cabinet where I put them into the lazy susan cabinet (which is his favorite one of course!). Honestly, this kept him occupied for quite some time.

He also really likes to rearrange the shoes! We have a shoe rack behind our front door, there are 5 of us, so we have lots of shoes. He likes to pull the shoe's off the rack and bring them into the living room/kitchen floors. Instead of trying to stop him from rearranging the shoes (although, honestly I wish he'd stop touching them so much...they're shoes afterall), I decided to let him at it. When he's over there, and he's pulling them all out into places where they don't belong, I simply go pull them ALL off the rack. Then he of course wants them all ON the rack! They aren't usually in order, with matching pairs or anything (but I'm sure that will come with time), but they all get put back and we're both happy (he gets to move the shoes still, but I don't have to pick them up from all the wrong places to put them back).

Have some fun with your little ones!

No comments: