Sunday, April 6, 2008

Our Schedule

We do school 2 mornings a week, for 2 1/2 hours each time. I thought some of you might like to see exactly how I schedule that time.

9-9:10--Free Time
9:10-9:30--Circle Time
Finger Play/Felt Board Rhyme
Active Activity (Parachute Play, Obstacle Course, Musical Instruments)
Weather Watcher
Story
Song
Material Preview (what's on board for today??)
9:30-9:45--Learning Time
9:45-10--Arts and Crafts
10-10:15—Block/Building play
10:15-10:30--Snack
10:30-10:45--Math/Fine Motor
10-45-11--Concept/Gross Motor
11-11:15--Sensory Activity/Dramatic Play
11:15-11:20--Learning Time (review)
11:20-11:25--Story
11:25-11:30--Free Time

"Material Preview"--I have a chalkboard where I put the letter we are working on, as well as draw pictures (with my limited ability) of things that begin with that letter. I also put up the shape we are working on. And anything else that comes to mind that works up there.

"Learning Time"--We focus on the letter of the week on the chalkboard, writing it with his finger, then erasing it with both a dry and a wet cloth (small piece of tissue paper, and a small piece of cut sponge).

"Weather Watcher"--One of the kids goes to the window and looks out and the others ask questions: "Is it sunny??" "Is it rainy??" etc. until we've decided what the weather is.

Sometimes the free time doesn't happen because our activities run longer than the time allotted for them...and all times are approximate! :-) I TRY to keep on schedule because I try to pack our time full of FUN FUN learning activity, but sometimes he gets very into the activity and it extends. Usually though, something else will be shorter than I planned and it all works out.

That's the dish.

No comments: